One of my favorite stories of urban transformation in our region is in the east end of Pittsburgh, where East Liberty meets Larimer, Point Breeze and Shadyside. After a failed urban redevelopment effort in the 1960s, the neighborhood declined from one of Pittsburgh’s hottest retail and entertainment spots to one of its most distressed communities. [...]
If you see lots of very young people around Pittsburgh this week wearing Intel ISEF name badges, be sure to give them a warm welcome. They’re competitors in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair. Pittsburgh is one of three cities selected by the Society for Science & the Public to host [...]
For several years now, our region’s economy has been outperforming the national average. It’s an unusual position for us to be in, since nothing like this has happened here in a generation. It also is creating a set of challenges we aren’t used to – more jobs than people. For some time now we’ve been [...]
I recently caught up with Gary Saulson, executive vice president and director of corporate real estate for The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc., as the company was clearing the site at Wood Street between Fifth and Forbes avenues for what is expected to be the world’s most environmentally friendly highrise.
The 33-story [...]
More than a century ago, Pittsburgh Plate Glass figured out the first commercially viable way to manufacture flat glass. In the years since, it’s evolved into a global coatings company called PPG Industries that remains on the cutting edge of glass as well. Most of its global R&D happens here in the Pittsburgh region and [...]
Our region is returning to the global spotlight later this month, when Pittsburgh hosts the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF). More than 1,500 of the best and brightest ninth to twelfth graders from more than 65 countries will convene at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. Almost 900 of our neighbors, scientists, engineers [...]
- Fort Pitt Tunnel Scene Thrills Emma Watson (with Video Link)
- Remembering Fred Rogers: One Market Research Guru’s Memories of a Childhood Favorite
- Forbes: “Comeback City” Pittsburgh Reverses Population Decline
- 51st Annual Light Up Night Returns
- Aquion Energy to Expand Manufacturing in Pittsburgh Region, Add 400+ Jobs
- VIDEO: Time Flies, but Kaufmann’s Clock Icon Endures; Marks 100th Anniversary
- Good Food, Sense of Community Attracts Thousands to Greek Food Festivals in Pittsburgh
- Bill Flanagan: The world arrives and Tulsa, too.
- “Our Region’s Business” Visits the Quality of Life Technology Center at Bakery Square
- Affordable, Welcoming Pittsburgh Helps Innovative Chefs, Restaurants Thrive
Watch the Latest Imagine VideosMr. McFeely Shares His Memories of "Meeting Under the Kaufmann's Clock"